Yoga for weight loss – Stay Fit and Healthy
There is an ample number of activities that one can incorporate in his/her daily routine to lose weight. It is easier to lose weight than to maintain it. Trendy diets and intense gym sessions will surely help you shed a few kilos, but you will gain back all of it once you stop doing it. That is why a lot of people choose yoga for weight loss.
Yoga is a physical activity that will not only help you lose weight but will also help you maintain a balance between your body, mind, and soul. Yoga tones your muscles make your body flexible and it also helps to reduce stress and anxiety too.
10 Yoga Poses for Weight Loss
Here is a list of yoga(asanas) poses that are meant specifically for weight loss. We hope this list helps you start your yoga journey.
- Surya Namaskar: It is a combination of 13 different poses, which aims at strengthening your back. Sun Salutation, which is the other name for Surya Namaskar, has a very healthy impact on your entire body.
- Trikonasana: It is a simple pose, commonly known as the triangular pose, and mainly focuses on the sides of your belly, arms, and thighs.
- Naukasana: The Boat Pose, this pose works excellent on stubborn belly fat. Try doing three sets of 10 seconds each for starters and then gradually increase the time.
- Setu Bandha Sarvangasana: In this pose, you have to raise your pelvic area and hold the position for 15 to 20 seconds, which is why this pose is called the Bridge pose. It focuses on your thighs, back, and hips.
- Chaturanga Dandasana: This pose is known as the Plank pose, and you must have seen a lot of people doing it. It aims at strengthening your core.
- Dhanurasana: This pose is also known as the bow pose, will not only improve your digestion but also strengthen and tone your muscles. The bow pose focuses on your chest, back, and thighs.
- Adho Mukha Svanasana: It is commonly known as the Downward Dog Pose and works great on your arms, back and hamstrings. It is proven that people who regularly practice Adho Mukha Svanasana have better concentration and blood circulation compare to people who don’t.
- Parivrtta Utkatasana: Also known as the twisted chair pose, focuses on your digestive system and reduces the chances of bloating. It is considered to be helpful for weight loss.
- Bhujangasana: The famous Cobra pose is great for reducing back pain and strengthening your shoulders and spine. Bhujangasana helps in achieving a flat belly.
- Virabhadrasana: The warrior pose or Virabhadrasana the focus points in this pose are on your shoulders and arms, and it also improves your blood circulation.
Points to Keep in Mind While Practicing Yoga
- While practicing yoga, focus on your breathing
- Practice yoga for weight loss regularly and consistently
- Always use a yoga mat or a carpet
- Practice yoga in empty stomach or at least 2-3 hours after your meal
- Maintain a healthy lifestyle and have a proper sleep cycle.
- Wear comfortable clothes
- If you have a medical history, consult a doctor before starting yoga for weight loss.
- Rest is equally important
Remember, you didn’t gain all those extra kilos in a week or two. Similarly, you won’t lose them in a short span of time.
Focus on being a healthy person and enjoy your weight loss journey. Don’t be harsh on yourself.
Also, read our articles on